LETTER OF PASTORAL APPOINTMENTS 2020
By decision of Most Rev. Albert LeGatt, Archbishop of Saint Boniface, after consultation with the College of Consultors, the following are the assignments of Priests. Parish Life Directors, Permanent Deacons and Seminarians in the Archdiocese of Saint Boniface for the current year. Unless otherwise agreed upon with those concerned, the appointments will be effective August 1, 2020. Priest and Parish Life Directors assignments are listed according to deaneries.
The term Pastor is applied only to priests who are incardinated within the Archdiocese of Saint Boniface. The term Parochial Administrator is applied to those priests having the same responsibilities as a Pastor but who are either secular clergy incardinated in another diocese or a member of a religious congregation.
The term Priest Moderator is applied to those priests responsible for liturgical celebrations in a parish where the pastoral responsibilities have been assigned to a Parish Life Director. The term Parish Life Director refers to the lay person or the religious who is responsible for the pastoral aspects of the parish.
FRENCH URBAN DEANERY
1. NUESTRA SEÑORA DE LA ASUNCIÓN
Fr. Eider Augusto Tomayo, who will be arriving from Columbia on loan from the Diocese of el Banco Magdalena, is appointed for a six-year mandate.
2. PRÉCIEUX-SANG / ST. KIZITO
Fr. Francis Koudzovi Adzakor is appointed parochial administrator for a six-year mandate. He has recently arrived from Togo, having been sent by the Diocese of Atakpamé. He assumed his position April 1, 2020.
3. SAINT-EUGÈNE / COEUR-IMMACULÉE-DE-MARIE
Fr. Mudishi Kazadi is appointed parochial administrator for a six-year mandate.
SOUTH URBAN ENGLISH DEANERY
1. CHRIST THE KING
Fr. Chrysogonus Obinna Agu is appointed parochial administrator for a six-year mandate.
2. HOLY CROSS
A Capuchin Friar (priest) will be named parochial administrator for a mandate of six years. However, as of July 1, 2020, and until the arrival of this Capuchin Friar, Mrs. Sheila Cornick will carry out the duties of Parish Life Director. Archbishop Albert LeGatt will celebrate weekend masses, baptisms, and weddings, and replacement priests will assure sacramental, liturgical, and devotional services during the week, including funerals.
3. MARY MOTHER OF THE CHURCH
Fr. Jean-Baptiste Anh Duy, recently ordained, is appointed pastor for a six-year mandate.
4. ST. PHILIP MINH
Fr. Pham Phi Jean-Baptiste Vu is appointed parochial administrator for a mandate of six years. He is being loaned to our diocese by the Diocese of Xuan Loc, in Vietnam, and will be arriving this summer/fall.
5. ST. THOMAS MORE KOREAN CATHOLIC COMMUNITY
Fr. Lee John Dae-Soo is appointed parochial administrator for a mandate of five years. He is being loaned to our diocese by the Archdiocese of Seoul, in South Korea, and will be arriving this summer/fall.
6. ST. TIMOTHY
Fr. Brian Trueman, recently ordained, is appointed pastor for a six-year mandate.
1. BLESSED SACRAMENT
Fr. Kevin Bettens is appointed pastor for a six-year mandate.
2. HOLY REDEEMER
Sr. Maria Ciccarelli is appointed Parish Life Director for a one-year mandate. Fr. Owen Steeves is also appointed priest moderator for a one-year mandate to assure all sacramental and liturgical services, and to work collaboratively with Sr. Maria and the Parish Pastoral Council. The Parish Finance Council will be in charge of all financial and temporal administration.
3. ST. JOSEPH THE WORKER
Sr. Charlotte Leake is appointed Parish Life Director for a sixth and final one-year mandate. Fr. David Brabant is appointed priest-moderator for another one-year mandate. The Parish Finance Council will be in charge of all financial and temporal administration.
WINNIPEG RIVER DEANERY
1. POWERVIEW-PINE FALLS (Notre-Dame-du-Laus) / ST. GEORGES Fr. Sebastian Emeka Ejie, on loan from the Diocese of Awka in Nigeria, is mandated as parochial administrator for one year. He is being given a one-year sabbatical by his bishop, Most Reverend Paulinus C. Ezeokafor.
2. GRAND MARAIS (St. Theresa of the Child Jesus) / STEAD (Our Lady of Mount Carmel) Fr. Joshua Gundrum is named pastor for a three-year mandate, all the while continuing as pastor of East Selkirk and Narol. He will celebrate masses on Saturday evening, alternating between the two parishes from November 1 to April 30. During the summer season, replacement priests will celebrate Sunday morning masses in both communities.
SEINE RIVER DEANERY
1. SAINTE-ANNE-DES-CHÊNES PASTORAL REGION / HADASHVILLE (St. John the Baptist) Fr. Kevin Lereh Nkengfua, MSsCc, is appointed parochial administrator for a sixyear mandate. He has recently arrived from Cameroon, having been sent to our diocese by the Missionaries of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary. He assumed his position on May 15, 2020.
2. LORETTE (Notre-Dame-de-Lorette) Fr. Jorge Mario Londoño, arrived in our diocese from Brazil in 2010, and was then appointed parochial administrator of Nuestra Señora de la Asunción from 2010 to 2016. After three years of work outside of our diocese, he returned to us in the summer of 2019. After serving as interim parochial administrator in Lorette for a year, he is now appointed parochial administrator for a six-year mandate.
RED RIVER DEANERY
1. SAINT-PIERRE / OTTERBURNE (Saint-Viateur) Fr. Robert Laroche, OMI, is appointed parochial administrator for a one-year mandate, until August 1, 2021. Indeed, he assumed this position on June 1, 2020.
His mandate could be extended with the approval of the Lacombe Province of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate.
1. HOLLAND CATHOLIC CENTRE – HOLLAND (St. John Berchmans) / BRUXELLES (St. Gerard Majella) / TREHERNE (Sacred Heart of Jesus) / CYPRESS RIVER (Our Lady of the Cypress) Fr. Joseph Tran is now appointed pastor for a six-year mandate, after having assured replacement ministry in these communities since January 1, 2020.
2. NOTRE-DAME-DE-LOURDES / RATHWELL (Sainte-Monique) Fr. Alain Guenou is appointed pastor for a further three-year extension, having completed his six-year mandate.
NATIVE MINISTRY DEANERY
1. BERENS RIVER (Our Lady of the Snow) / POPLAR RIVER (St. John Bosco) Fr. Messia Vallapadasu, SDM, is appointed parochial administrator for a six-year mandate, effective August 1, 2020. He assumed the position on February 15, 2020.
1. REVEREND MR. STEPAN BILYNSKYY, permanent deacon, is appointed to diaconate ministry at Blessed Sacrament Parish.
2. REVEREND MR. DOUG CROSS, permanent deacon, is appointed to ministry directly associated to Archbishop LeGatt’s ministry, while remaining the Director of the interdiocesan formation program for the permanent diaconate.
1. SERGE BUISSÉ, diocesan seminarian, will begin his pastoral internship year at Saints-Martyrs-Canadiens Parish on September 1, 2020.
THOSE RETIRING FROM ACTIVE MINISTRY, EITHER FULL-TIME OR PART-TIME
1. FR. JOSÉ MONTEPEQUE, effective since January 1, 2020. He is available for replacement ministry.
2. FR. JOHN McKENZIE, effective July 1, 2020. He is available for replacement ministry.
4. REVEREND MR. LUC GIROUARD, permanent deacon at Saint-Pierre Parish, effective June 30, 2020. 4.
REVEREND MR. DOUG MEAKIN, permanent deacon at the Parish of Mary, Mother of the Church, effective since March 22, 2020.
5. MR. AURÈLE BOISVERT, Parish Life Director of the Sainte-Anne-des-Chênes Pastoral Region, effective since June 1, 2020.
PRIESTS LEAVING OUR DIOCESE
1. FR. ALPHONSE BONGO, CJ, will return to the Congregation of the Institutum Josephitarium Gerardimontensium (Josephites) to be assigned a new ministry.
2. FR. PETER GENGER, completes his service as priest moderator of Christ the King Parish, having completed his doctoral studies. He will be at the service of his bishop, Most Reverend Wilfred Anagbe, cmf, bishop of Markudi, Nigeria.
3. FR. RODRIGO LAZARTE, having completed five years of service as pastor of Blessed Sacrament Parish, is returning to his home diocese of Daet.
4. FR. ALAIN BIKINI MUSINI, SMA, has returned to the service of his Congregation, the “Société des Missions d’Afrique”.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank the priests, permanent deacons and parish life directors for their generosity in accomplishing their pastoral work in the Archdiocese of Saint Boniface. I also wish to express my gratitude this year to the priests, permanent deacons, and Parish Life Directors who are retiring from a regular parish ministry or who are called to serve elsewhere.
+ Albert LeGatt
Archbishop of Saint Boniface